Wednesday 8 May 2019

Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy #1) by Emily A. Duncan (Review)

       For some reason I feel like this book would make a good anime. Wicked Saints was pitched to me as based on Joan of Arc... that was a lie. It literally has nothing to do with Joan of Arc. It tells the story of a young woman named Nadya living at a temple with monks for a pantheon of deities. She is special because she can actually talk to the pantheon, and they actually respond to her. She is going to be the hero of her people in a bloody holy war. Without her, all is lost. Their enemies are heretical blood mages that reject the pantheon, and are ravaging the border. Once the temple attacked, Nadya has to flee from the one leading the attack, the feared blood prince. As the plot thickens, she has to learn to trust enemies, fear friends and depend on herself alone.
         Wicked Saints is a pretty dark book, and since it has blood mages, ample blood is to be expected. I really liked Nadya and found myself invested in her story in spite of a lot of the darker parts of the book. It had me crying and shipping characters, it was fascinating in its magic system. I really can't shake the thought that this book was so over the top in certain places that this book would do wonderfully as an anime, and I don't even watch anime. I can't fully put a finger on what part makes me feel that, its just something I am convinced of. All in all, Wicked Saints was pretty good and I give it the rating of FOUR AND A HALF STARS OUT OF FIVE!!!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment