Wednesday 8 May 2019

Never-Contented Things by Sarah Porter (Review)

      Disconcerting, discombobulating and freaky, Never-Contented Things was incredibly unpleasent to read. Ksenia and her adoptive brother Josh are two incredibly broken foster teens that get sucked into a horrifying world of fairies and a thier twisted monsterous creations. First they seduce Josh, and he goes missing as Ksenia panics, but then Josh suddenly re-appears and things start changing, making Ksenia wish he stayed gone.
      This book was uncomfortable to read, and not in the intended way. I found I didn't like Ksenia or Josh, both seemed like wish-washy characters with demented obsessions and perceptions that we are expected to empathize with. I wasn't really routing for either of them, I found myself routing for the story to end. I just felt weird and gross while reading this book. There was also an issue with the plot feeling like it wanted to be too many things at the same time. I felt there was a cool fairy story there, or a twisted band romance book, or a book on recovery from past abuse, or a book on letting friends in, or endurance or a story about leaving toxic people behind, but all-together it made a huge mess and was not a cohesive read. All in all, I don't recommend Never-Contented Things and give it the rating for TWO STARS OUT OF FIVE!!!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment