Wednesday 8 May 2019

Ship of Smoke and Steel (The Wells of Sorcery #1) by Django Wexler (Review)

      Violent, dark and disturbing, Ship of Smoke and Steel was a HARD pass for me. It tells a rough tale of Isoka the violent mob enforcer with magical powers geared towards violence and fighting. One days she is captured by the enforcement of her kingdom and is sacrificed to a massive metal monster ghost ship with one objective, bring back the ship in one year, or else the king will have her sister brutalized and ruined. On the ship she is faced with great challenges of monsters, metal "angles" that murder anyone who tries to flee, gang rivalries and giant evil crabs.
      Nope. I rarely dislike a book enough to stop reading it, but by 3/4 of the ways in I just had to give up and skip to the end. I just despised this book. It was disturbing and randomly graphic for no particular reason, and the main character just sucked. I couldn't connect with her at all. The plot felt overburdened and the environments busy. I love pirates but that wasn't what this book was about. It seemed to have a really lacking sense of identity. All in all, I don't recommend it and give it the rating of TWO STARS OUT OF FIVE!!!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment