Tuesday 18 July 2017

Getting to Know the Authors: Featuring J.M. Miller!

Bio:
      J.M. Miller currently consumes her coffee in Florida. When she isn't busy being distracted by social media sites, she writes Young Adult and New Adult romance novels that vary in genre from contemporary to fantasy.
Aside from spending time with her family, she loves to travel and will jump at the chance to go anywhere, whenever life allows.
Social Media Links:
Website- http://www.jmmillerbooks.com
Newsletter- http://smarturl.it/uz4i1e
Amazon- http://amzn.to/1EeyYvV
Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/j.m.miller.author
Instagram- https://instagram.com/authorjmmiller/
Twitter- https://twitter.com/jmmiller_author
Goodreads- http://smarturl.it/cr1soo
Pinterest-   http://www.pinterest.com/jmiller907/
Spotify- http://open.spotify.com/user/1298630229

What has she written?
She has written:

 
Excerpt of Fallen Flame:
        While the tingles in my red-orange skin slowly ascended into pain, the air biting as everything started to reform, a hard clanking noise outside the back door drew my attention. I slid into my thin underclothes, grabbed hold of my sword, then rushed toward the door. Knowing that sound was out of the ordinary, I was prepared to scour the garth and small area of trees behind the house, even search the neighbors’ land to find the cause. I hadn’t expected to open the door and find Xavyn standing a mere foot away, hood drawn and arms crossed as if I’d kept him waiting too long at the narrow back doorstep.
       I pointed my sword toward his chest and glanced around him, scanning the darkness. “What are you doing here?”
      “Following up.” The words were slow. As his hand reached up and removed the hood, his human eyes traversed my face, swallowing the details of my reforming skin in an intense, almost penetrating way.
       I realized then that I had no cloak, no mask. And for some reason, I wondered if I should take the time of throwing them on … before ending his life. He’d seen me in this state on Prince’s Night, but that was an instant, a moment amid darkness and chaos. Not this closely. I growled at him, digging the tip of my blade into the black leather at his chest, my regrowth pain dissolving as my anger took control.
      “Are you going to let me in or would you rather call attention to your treason?” he asked, his voice still holding a softness that grated me.
      “Quit staring at me that way and you can come in.”


Now on to the Interview!!!
1) How old were you when you started writing?
      I wrote poetry in high school, but I didn't write my first novel until 29.

2) What do you want a reader to gain from reading your works?
      Entertainment. That's my main goal. If one of my books can get someone out of their own head for a few hours, make them think, feel, and connect with a character from another world, another life, then I'm happy. Anything more is a bonus!

3) What are your three top suggestions on becoming an author, or being a pleasure writer?
     Write. Write. Write. There is no specific method, no real rules to start. Just write. When you determine what direction you want to take, you'll dig for more information. But the most important thing is to write. 
4) What is your favourite novel, why?
      This is always a tough question. But I do favor The Count of Monte Cristo. To me, it's just one of the best stories and the writing is amazing.

5) Who is your favourite author, why?
      I don't think I can choose one. There are so many talented authors, and I'm always happy to find a new favorite.

6) What are your favorite pass times besides writing?
      For the most part, I'm a homebody. I'm content to sit at home and spend time with my family, read a book, or work on my latest project. But I also love going to the movies and to the beach.

7) Who in your life do you credit your imagination to the most?
      Hmm. I'm not really sure, actually. I think my parents are creative in their own way, but I don't believe either wrote creatively. I guess I'd just say myself. I've always been more of an introvert observer, watching everything around me. It usually leads to random thoughts and ideas.

8) What are the top five things on your bucket list?
     Ooh! I love this question. There are things that I've randomly considered, but I've never really made a list, in my head or on paper. Right now, I'll have to go with:
1. Skydive
2. Revisit Europe
3. Visit Iceland
4. Smash some hefty writing goals
5. … There's so much more …

9) What is your funniest childhood memory?
     I have some good ones but this is the first thing hitting me right now. I was maybe 10 years old (probably summer 1990 … yeah, I'm old), riding in my father's station wagon with three of my cousins. We had just gotten ice cream cones. MC Hammer's song "U Can't Touch This" came on the radio and my dad was swerving to the beat (on a back road with no real traffic). If you know the song, you know in the chorus he says "STOP! Hammertime." Well, my dad did a break-check on the "STOP!" and a cousin's ice cream cone smashed into his own face. It was pretty awesome. ;)

10) To the youth of today, if you could tell them one thing, what would it be?
     Believe in yourself and fight for what you want in your life! But know that no one owes you anything. Work hard and you can make things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment