Wednesday 29 April 2015

Getting to Know the Authors: Featuring Maria V. Snyder!

Bio
   Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been happily sharing her knowledge with the current crop of MFA students. She also enjoys creating new worlds where horses and swords rule, 'cause let's face it, they're cool, although she's been known to trap her poor characters in a giant metal cube and let them figure out how to get out. Readers are welcome to check out her website for book excerpts, free short stories, maps, blog, and her schedule at http://www.MariaVSnyder.com.


What Has She Written?
    She has written: Poison Study (Study, #1), Magic Study (Study, #2), Fire Study (Study, #3), Touch of Power (Healer, #1), Inside Out (Insider, #1), Storm Glass (Glass, #1), Sea Glass (Glass, #2), Scent of Magic (Healer, #2), Spy Glass (Glass, #3), Outside In (Insider, #2), Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3), The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire, Assassin Study (Study, #1.5), Power Study (Study, #3.5), The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance, Ice Study (Study, #3.6), Shadow Study (Soulfinders, #1), The Study Series Bundle (Study, #1-3), Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances, Inside (Insider, #1-2), Opal Cowan Trilogy 3 Books Collection Set (Glass, #1-3), Poison Study & Storm Glass, Brave New Love: 15 Dystopian Tales of Desire and Storm Watcher.

Now On To The Interview!
1) How old were you when you started writing, in your opinion?
I was in my early 20s - I was bored at work and started jotting down story ideas and writing cheesy science fiction short stories.

2) What do you want a reader to gain from reading your works?
I want them to be entertained and also know that when life is difficult, you need to keep going, to persist and not give up. That if you work hard and don't be afraid to ask others for help, you can achieve anything.

3) What are your three top suggestions on becoming an author, or being a pleasure writer?
My top three are: #1 - Read a lot! Read as many books in your genre as possible, but also read in other genres as well. No only will you know what's been done before (or done to death), but how your story will fit in with the others. Also it gives you an instinctive knowledge of how novels are structured. #2 - Write a lot! The more you write the better you'll be. Also get feedback from other writers on your stories, take writing classes if you can, and attend writing conferences if you can. #3 - Don't give up. Writing is hard work and it takes persistence to finish that story, to keep revising until it's the best story possible. Also if you're going to seek a publisher - you'll need persistence to find a publisher for your novel.

4) What is your favourite novel, why?
The Gate to WOMEN'S Country, by Sheri S. Tepper - it's the ultimate girl power book!

5) Who is your favourite author, why?
This changes and I don't have just one favorite. Currently I'm really enjoying books written by Ilona Andrews - they're fantasy and urban fantasy and they have strong female protagonists.

6) What are your favorite pass times besides writing?
I enjoy photography, making jewelry, and playing volleyball. I also LOVE to travel and read of course!

7) Who in your life do you credit your imagination to the most?
 I've never been asked this question before! I'd have to say my parents - no only do I have their genes, but they always encouraged and supported me when I wanted to take dance classes or acting classes. They never said I couldn't do something.

8) What are the top five things on your bucket list?
I want to get a Ph.D in creative writing, I want to travel slowly - where I can spend months in one country and explore and not rush around going from one historical feature to the next. I also wish to see the Pyramids, Galapagos Islands, the Taj Mahal, and Machu Piccu.

9) What is your funniest childhood memory?
 My dad asking my sister what she would say or do if her BOYFRIEND asked her to "you know....mmmm hmmmm" (referring to have sex). And my sister replied without hesitation, "I'll tell him I don't hum."

10) To the youth of today, if you could tell them one thing, what would it be?
 Don't give up. If you have a goal or have a dream, then pursue it. It won't be easy, but if you work hard and keep going, it's possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment