Wednesday 5 November 2014

The Walled City by Ryan Graudin (Review)

 The Walled City was not what I was expecting at all. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. I went into this book expecting a dystopian-like feel and twenty-four seven action. Instead, I read a story about three youths who were in some way or another, sucked into living in the slums of The Walled City. Dai, a boy wanting to redeem his way back home. Mei Yee, a girl taken to the slums to be a prostitute, dreaming of freedom and the sea. Last but not least, Jin, who followed the truck taking her sister into the walled city, determined to save her no matter the cost. This story truly touched my heart with Jin’s strength, love and courage. It gave the reader a vision of how good a person can truly be in a terrible situation. I also adored Jin’s cat Chma. I felt like the loyal and loving companion of Jin was a perfect touch. I believe that the presence of Chma was perfectly placed in the story, to preventing it from becoming incredibly depressing or sad. I truly believe that this is a great book, and that it is quite beautiful, but in retrospect, it had one to many boring moments and was very depressingly sad to boot. I give it three and a half stars.
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment