Monday 17 November 2014

Getting to Know the Authors: Featuring Kendare Blake!

Bio
      Kendare Blake is an import from South Korea who was raised in the United States by caucasian parents. You know, that old chestnut. She received a Bachelor’s degree in Business from Ithaca College and a Master’s degree in Writing from Middlesex University in London. She brakes for animals, the largest of which was a deer, which sadly didn’t make it, and the smallest of which was a mouse, which did, but it took forever. Amongst her likes are Greek Mythology, rare red meat and veganism. She also enjoys girls who can think with the boys like Ayn Rand, and boys who scare the morality into people, like Bret Easton Ellis. - See more at: http://kendareblake.com/about/#sthash.dlNiilOp.dpuf 


What has she written?
She has written: 
Anna Dressed in Blood,
 Girl of Nightmares,
 Antigoddess, 
Mortal Gods,
 Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader, 
Sleepwalk Society, 
When Gods and Vampires Roamed Miami, 
and Violent Ends.


Now onto the Interview!!
1) How old were you when you started writing, in your opinion?
 Well...I wrote my first "novel" in seventh grade. But it was super crappy. That would be the start though. My stuff didn't become publishable until...college or right after?

2) What do you want a reader to gain from reading your works?
 Enjoyment. A few characters to have fun spending time with, or perhaps to care about. Sometimes there are things I'd hope readers thought about, but that's never the sole intention. If something they read made them reflect on the world around them, or on themselves, that would be neat.

3) What are your three top suggestions on becoming an author, or being a pleasure writer?
Being an author and a pleasure writer should overlap as often as possible. Read a lot. And, don't forget to write. It's weird how many questions I get about writing from people who simply haven't started writing. Such questions are hard to answer!


4) What is your favourite novel, why?
I never pick favorite novels. Or if I do, I pick a different one every time. This time I'll say...Revolutionary Road, by Richard Yates.

5) Who is your favourite author, why?
 I never pick those either. Or if I do, I pick a different one every time. This time I'll say... Karen Russell. Or Holly Black.

6) What are your favorite pass times besides writing?
 Reading! And eating. Also traveling, watching movies and good TV, hiking, playing tennis, hanging with animals.

7) Who in your life do you credit your imagination to the most?
 Not to get all McConaughey on you, but, myself, I guess. Because my imagination is sparked by many things. Random things, and random people. No one person turns on the creativity more than any other. Ok. Maybe Caitlin R Kiernan. Or Milan Kundera. Or Bret Easton Ellis.

8) What are the top five things on your bucket list?
Ride a Friesian horse, or a Lusitano. Eat in a ridiculously fancy restaurant, like The French Laundry. Spend relaxing holidays in the South of France. Learn to play the piano, or the guitar. Shit, I need one more...order a really delicious chocolate theme cake, for one of my books.

9) What is your funniest childhood memory?
Um...I was sleepwalking once and apparently thought the neighbor kid who was sleeping on the couch was my worst enemy. They say I shouted nonsense at him as he slept and then slapped him silly. I of course, remember none of this.

10) To the youth of today, if you could tell them one thing, what would it be?
I guess...that I don't have anything to tell them that they'd believe. They're going to have to figure it all out on their own, in their own time. But not to worry. That's half the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment