Sunday 22 April 2018

As She Fades by Abbi Glines (Review)

     Vale Mckinley is a graduated coma patient? Girlfriend of a coma patient? Honestly I don't know. It hard to describe this book. If you care about spoilers, don't read further into this review, but I really don't recommend reading this book, so I don't think it really matters. 
     Starting off, my first issue with As She Fades is the fact that the plot makes no gosh darn sense, and it doesn't even try to. The first three fourths of the novel literally have no effect on the ending. Everything it establishes doesn't matter; it is not even addressed in the last bit. I got whiplash from it. The next biggest problem, ignoring the whiplash of a plot, the romantic lead is a toxic a-hole, but he's played off like this perfect guy. He sleeps around, including during the romance. With his exploits that are made very VERY through some pretty gross and unnecessary scenes, he, without a doubt, would have every STD and STI in the book. Gross. But somehow he is painted as the perfect match for the monogamous maybe coma victim. I hated his character. It felt unhealthy and unappealing to read. I could rant forever, but I'll end my review with this last complaint. As She Fades is NOT YA. It is an adult erotica. It has explicit sex scenes (of many verities), its plot revolves around sex and physical attraction and it takes place in university. I would not recommend this to anyone, especially not YA fans. All it has going for it is the main character's clear narrative voice, for which I give As She Fades the star rating of ONE AND A HALF STARS OUT OF FIVE!!!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment