Wednesday 26 August 2015

Getting to Know the Authors: Featuring Lisa Schroeder!

Bio:
   Lisa Schroeder is the author of over a dozen books for kids and teens, including the YA novels I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME and ALL WE HAVE IS NOW and the middle grade novels IT'S RAINING CUPCAKES and MY SECRET GUIDE TO PARIS. She loves tea and cookies, flowers, family hikes, books and movies that make her laugh and cry, and sunshine. Living in Oregon, she doesn't get nearly enough sunshine, but the hikes are amazing. You can visit her online at www.lisaschroederbooks.com or on twitter at @lisa_schroeder. Her other accounts are: twitter: www.twitter.com/lisa_schroeder, facebook: www.facebook.com/lisaschroederbooks, tumblr: www.lisaschroeder.tumblr.com and instagram: lisaschroeder15.

What has she written?
She has written:
    I Heart You, You Haunt Me, Chasing Brooklyn, The Day Before, Far from You, It's Raining Cupcakes, Falling For You, Dear Bully: Seventy Authors Tell Their Stories, Sprinkles and Secrets, The Bridge from Me to You, My Secret Guide to Paris, Frosting and Friendship, All We Have Is Now, Caitlin's Lucky Charm (Charmed Life, #1), Mia's Golden Bird (Charmed Life, #2), Little Chimp's Big Day, Baby Can't Sleep, Libby's Sweet Surprise (Charmed Life, #3), Hannah's Bright Star (Charmed Life, #4), The Girl in the Tower, and My Secret Guide to Paris: A Wish Novel.


Now on to the Interview!
1) How old were you when you started writing?
I've been writing for a long time. My grandma kept a little book I wrote when I was 8 or 9, with the pages folded so you could read it like an actual book. I illustrated it too! Of course it's not very good, but I've always loved books and stories. I seriously began writing back in 2000 - so about fifteen years ago.

2) What do you want a reader to gain from reading your works?
First and foremost, I just want them to get lost in a story. And to meet characters that like hanging out with for a little while. And maybe to realize that if my characters can get through tough stuff and come out the other side okay, they can too.

3) What are your three top suggestions on becoming an author, or being a pleasure writer?
Read a lot. Write a lot. And write for the joy of it first and foremost, not because you hope to be rich or famous or any of that. If you don't love the act of creating, it's a very, very hard business to be a part of.

4) What is your favourite novel, why?
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee. It is a story that sticks with you for a long, long time - those characters are just so very memorable.

5) What are your favorite past times besides writing?
Reading, of course, baking, walking the dog, watching great TV shows and movies (story is story, after all), and traveling when I get the chance.

6) Who in your life do you credit your imagination to the most?
Lots of reading when I was younger, I think.

7) What are the top five things on your bucket list?
I'd love to travel to France, Italy and Greece, so that's three right there. Besides that, I guess get asked to participate in some of the big book festivals like Y'all Fest and meet one of my favorite authors, Jojo Moyes.

8) What is your funniest childhood memory?
I was camping and a bluejay swooped down and grabbed my pacifier off the table and flew away with it. I cried. It wasn't funny at the time, but I think it's funny now.

9) To the youth of today, if you could tell them one thing, what would it be?
Don't get so caught up on stuff online that you forget there's a great big world out there that needs you. So go out and do great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment