Thursday 29 November 2018

What the Woods Keep by Katya de Becerra (Review)

      Meh, What the Woods Keep was a very meh novel. It was okay. I didn't hate it, but I definitely didn't love it. In a world with immense amounts of mystery and danger, Hayden is an 18 year old girl that is trying to make sense of the disappearance of her mother from many years ago. To do this, she travels to her old home town to investigate the woods where she vanished when Hayden was only a small child. There is something weird about the woods, about the town around it. As Hayden and her friend Del spend time there, things just aren't adding up. Vials of blood, weird girls, old prophesies and strange ravens. Each thing challenges Hayden's deep belief in the sciences, making her question her very sanity.
       I didn't love What the Woods Keep. The pace of the novel was way too slow, seemingly dragging along. I really wished the plot points would be brought closer together, because there were so many useless small things, I couldn't keep my mind on the story I was reading. The book has some merits, and an interesting mythical concept, but the execution was just lacking. I can't really recommend this What the Woods Keep because it was simply really, really boring. It also had many useless plot threads and things left unaddressed at the end of the book. If this was in a series that would not be a problem, but as a stand-alone, it makes the book feel incomplete. I give What the Woods Keep THREE AND A HALF STARS OUT OF FIVE!!!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment