Saturday 10 November 2018

Enchantée by Gita Trelease (Review)

     A magical and, honouring the name, enchanting tale, Enchantée was a fun time to read. It's the story of a poor young lady in pre-revolution France, Paris specifically, named Camille Durbonne. Camille and her siblings are impoverished after the traffic death of their parents, and in an attempt to pay rent, get her sisters medication and put food on the table, she turns to magic; specifically, a magic that stems from pain and sorrow, that eats away at the magician. Using her magic to slip into the court, she gets sucked into a world of excess and gambling, and has to figure out how far is too far before she gets caught, or the magic takes too high of a tole. All the while, her heart is taken for a ride with a sweet hot-air ballooning aristocrat, who poses the risk of figuring out her disguise and risking everything she has worked for.
     I really enjoyed Enchantée. I have been in a bit of a reading slump recently, but this book was just the pick-me-up I needed. It was in a new setting from the one I am used to and it had multiple fascinating premises. I was not expecting much from this novel, since I don't love political court dramas, but I found myself happily engrossed in it. I really liked Camille and her sister, and constantly found myself deeply empathizing with them and muttering my encouragements to them aloud as I read. They, like every single character in this book, were incredibly well rounded and developed. The plot was constantly developing in some manner or another and it felt like there were no wasted moments in this book, which is fantastic. When I put down the book I found I was very satisfied with it, and was proud to have an ARC of it in my collection, which is awesome. All in all, I really recommend Enchantée and give it the rating of FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS!!!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment