Saturday 17 January 2015

The Sham by Ellen Allen (Review)

    I could barely put it down. I don't want to spoil much of the plot, but I will say that it's about a girl called Emily in a small town in the North of England called 'The Sham'. Small town life gets disrupted when mysterious words start appearing around town, a girl goes missing, a strange boy called Jack appears.
    I really enjoyed reading this, and I liked Emily as a character, though I wish she'd been a little more able to stand up for herself and the little boy in the first chapter, I felt when something so shocking is going on, you'd react a bit more strongly. She just sort of watched, until Jack turned up to save the day. The book can be quite disorientating at times, as you try to figure out exactly what is going on, and whether any of these things are related. Sometimes mystery novels leave you with a few too many clues and you start to unravel the ending before you get there, but with this one I honestly had no clue what was going on with the missing girls, and Jack was such an enigma.
I was engrossed until the very last page, and give The Sham the rating of FOUR STARS OUT OF FIVE!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment