Wednesday 24 June 2015

Getting to Know the Authors: Featuring Julie Reece!

Bio in Her Words: 
  Born in Ohio, I lived next to my grandfather’s horse farm until the fourth grade. Summers were about riding, fishing and make-believe, while winter brought sledding and ice-skating on frozen ponds. Most of life was magical, but not all.
  I struggled with multiple learning disabilities, did not excel in school. I spent much of my time looking out windows and daydreaming. In the fourth grade (with the help of one very nice teacher) I fought dyslexia for my right to read, like a prince fights a dragon in order to free the princess locked in a tower, and I won.
  Afterwards, I read like a fiend. I invented stories where I could be the princess... or a gifted heroine from another world who kicked bad guy butt to win the heart of a charismatic hero. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Later, I moved to Florida where I continued to fantasize about superpowers and monsters, fabricating stories (my mother called it lying) and sharing them with my friends.
  Then I thought I'd write one down…
  Hooked, I’ve been writing ever since. I write southern gothic, contemporary, urban fantasy, adventure, and young adult romances. I love strong heroines, sweeping tales of mystery and epic adventure… which must include a really hot guy. My writing is proof you can work hard to overcome any obstacle. Don’t give up. I say, if you write, write on!

She has Written:
The Artisans, The Paladins (The Artisans #2), Crux, and Tidal Whispers

Now on to the Interview!!
1) How old were you when you started writing, in your opinion?
  I started out as a reader, and studied art in college. I didn’t know I loved to write until I was an adult and started writing books for my kids to read! : ) 

2) What do you want a reader to gain from reading your works?
 I hope readers are entertained and have some fun with my stories. I hope the books provide a nice escape for a few hours, and if I’m very lucky, I hope the characters wiggle into a reader’ s heart and stay there. 

3) What are your three top suggestions on becoming an author, or being a pleasure writer? 
 Ah, good question! Most important is to actually finish your story, Sounds obvious, but really, too many writers quit before they type ‘The End.’ Second is to write three books before you try for publication. Sure, some writers publish their first book, but it’s not the norm. It usually takes three novels to find your voice and hone your craft. Lastly, don’t ever quit. You might get frustrated at times, I think all artists do. Step away for a season if you need to and do something else, but don’t give up. 

4) What is your favourite novel, why? 
 Jane Eyre. The romance, baby! It’s just so awesome. *swoons* 

5) Who is your favourite author, why?
 I am not coping out, I promise, but I CAN NOT answer this question. Lol! There are too many genius YA writers out there to choose from!!! 

6) What are your favorite pass times besides writing? 
 Spending time with family, animals, riding horses, kayaking, traveling to new places, flowers, eating, eating again, movies, reading, bubble baths. My most favoritist <<(yes, I’m making it a word) thing in the whole world is spending time with my husband. <3

7) Who in your life do you credit your imagination to the most? 
 I don’t mean for this to sound either cheesy or cliché but God. Because it’s simply true. He made me, gave me this weird brain, and I’m so thankful. :) 

8) What are the top five things on your bucket list? 
 Visit England, jump from a plane, swim with sea turtles, live to meet my great grandchildren, die on the same day as my husband. Sorry, is that morbid? I’m calling it romantic. : ) 

9) What is your funniest childhood memory? 
 When we were young, a judge owned the farm next door to our property. Telling no one, my sister and I snuck over to see a new litter of baby piglets. What we didn’t know, is that mother pigs are protective. Mean in fact. And that mother pig chased my sister and me through a cornfield and over a fence. I’ve never been so scared in all of my life! 

10) To the youth of today, if you could tell them one thing, what would it be?
 To believe that being different is a good thing. When we are young, we want to blend in, feel accepted more than anything, and to be exactly like everyone else. And that’s a shame. Because you are young for twenty years and an adult for sixty. It’s the quirky people, the ones who dare to think differently, the ones that are truly unique that lead the most interesting lives as adults. Be individual and own it! 
Links to some of her pages: 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me! <3 I had a great time answering your questions : )

    ReplyDelete