Thursday 11 April 2019

I Do Not Trust You by Laura J. Burns & Melinda Metz (Review)

   A modern mythology mix, about 10% mythology and 90% modern contemporary, I Do Not Trust You is quite hard to explain. Memphis is the daughter of a famed archaeologist that died in a plane crash years ago. Ever since then, life is fairly gray, until a mysterious boy named Ashwin appears weaving a tale of cults, Egyptian gods, and a very much not dead father. She doesn't know what's true and what isn't, but with the seed of hope planted. Is he crazy? Is he a part of a cult as well? Is he telling the truth, could Egyptian magic be real? Either way, she follows him on a crazy adventure to potentially save her living or dead father, but without a doubt, she does not trust him.
       Uuuuuuuuuuh, this book was odd to say the least. It didn't feel dedicated to being fantasy, or an archeologist adventure, or a contemporary story. I was pretty lukewarm to this novel from the beginning to the end. I didn't care much for the characters, the plot, the stakes or the themes. I typically love mythology based stories (hence why I chose to read it), but the egyptian mythology part was seemingly shoved right into the end and it felt like an afterthought, which was not personally engaging to me. All in all, I can only describe I Do Not Trust You as "meh". I give I Do Not Trust You TWO AND A HALF STARS OUT OF FIVE!!!
*Advanced Readers Copy Review*

No comments:

Post a Comment